[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnifier pics

Subject:
        Magnifier pics
  Date:
        Sat, 22 Mar 1997 13:00:44 -0600 (CST)
  From:
        Bert Pool <nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net>
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

I posted some pictures of a large Jacob's ladder (5 kva, 34.5 KV
transformer) as well as some shots of last Saturday night's magnifier
run.
The extra coil wanted to arc from the top to bottom corona ring,
shorting it
out, but I still got some 4 footers out.  The secondary was showing
signs of
inter turn arcing, so I'm gonna tear it down and rebuilt it with some
good
HV test prod wire I have on hand.

I now appreciate what Richard Hull and Ed Wingate, and others, have gone
through on building large working magnifiers.  If you start to use the
smaller physical extra coils like Hull does, things have to be perfect,
and
you don't even know what "perfect" necessarily entails!

Bert Pool
nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net