[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Motor driven variac (fwd)

  Date:
        Sat, 22 Mar 1997 03:44:05 +0200 (EET)
  From:
        Kristian Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
> To: Jason Pecor
> Variac is a short abbreviation for "variable autotransformer".  A variac
> is
> a transformer wound on a circular core and features an adjustable wiper
> arm
> with a carbon brush.  It allows you to continually vary the output

Most single-phase variacs have a circular core but there are "linear"
1-phase variacs as well. All the 3-phase variacs I have (or have seen)
are
not circular but like EI (ascii art:) with coils around the three "arms"
of E. Especially higher-powered units don't have a carbon "brush" but a
carbon "roller" - this depends on design, of course.

> > "Jason Edward Pecor" <pecorjas-at-pilot.msu.edu>
> > What exactly does a Variac do?  Is it some sort of Spark Gap?

A must-answer to the latter question: I hope not :)

  Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the
law |
| kukkonen-at-alpha.hut.fi  |_____  Chance favours the prepared mind
|-------
| http://www.hut.fi/~kukkonen |  Fear is the mind-killer  |---------