[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary field size

  Date:
        Sat, 22 Mar 1997 03:53:37 -0700
  From:
        "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:
        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

To: Kevin Conkey

If you operate a TC primary in pulsed mode with DC charging the cap
through
a large resistor you can do an electrostatic plot of the primary field.

Our group did this about 10 years ago as we also noted that it seemed
unnecessary to couple
energy up the entire sec. coil.  We found out you don't --- usually
energy
is coupled into the bottom 1/3 - 1/2 of the sec. coil and propagated up
the
remainder of the coil as a standing wave  -- much like pumping optical
energy into a ruby rod -- complete coupling is not always desireable.

As R. Hull noted in a recent communication to the group an efficient
size
for sec. coil is usually a 1:4 or 1:5 ratio (or less).  You can use
ratios
up to 1:15 if you are using very tight coupling (thus operating in a
resonance transformer mode) with a vacuum tube circuit.

It is a lot of work but you can prove that total sec. envelopment by the
primary energy field is not necessary and sometimes very undesireable.

A great mathematical analysis of this work was done by David Sloan (a
ham
radio operator) who
worked in California (Caltech I think) and developed a 1 million volt,
100
KW resonance transformer X-ray tube system (in vaco) for General
Electric.
His math analysis of several different types of
resonance transformers are included in the article published in the
1940's.
 Their final design was a 150 KW, 15 KV drive dual vac. tube system
driving
an 18 turn water cooled copper tubing res. transformer in a tank with a
1
MEV  100 KW output.  I believe it was published in Nature and is very
interesting reading.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net