[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Smoke

ubject:
        Smoke
  Date:
        Tue, 25 Mar 1997 23:07:10 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Rscopper-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

For a fleeting moment all was good in the world.  Then the smoke
happened.  I
assume that when it goes from an 11 inch fireworks display - to a 6 inch
wimpy sputtering arc  - my (borrowed) neon xfrmr has shorted some turns.

I did get a nice show for a few minutes.  All the lamps in the garage
started
glowing, the smoke alarm started beeping, and my son's electric
programmable
car turned itself on.

Here's an interesting cap setup.  One 0.024uf rolled cap in parallel
with the
xfrmr then connected through 3 gaps to a 0.016uf cap made up of 300 -
4.7uf
100V metal film caps in series with the primary.  It took as many hours
twist and solder the small caps as it did to build the rolled one!
Stacked
them 2 levels high in 15 rows of 10 each with 30 mil strips of plastic
between each row, and 90 mil between layers.

Time to go looking for a new neon.

CAPPER

** If you don't like what you are doing - either change your attitude,
or
change what you are doing ***