[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: microwave trans

  Date:
        Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:01:23 +0200
  From:
        Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>, blue-sys-at-stolaf.edu

>        Re: microwave trans
>  Date:
>        Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:06:39 +0200
>  From:
>        Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
>    To:
>        tweagan-at-mailyv.dnet.dupont-dot-com, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>>Hi Kenneth
>>
>>You wrote:
>>
>><  From:
>><        Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
>>
>><question #2 -
>><a neon sign xfrmr of 1.5kw costs about 250$ here. if i use 3
>><transformers
>><salvaged from microwave ovens - connected in series, would this
>><work ? the power of each is around 800W and the voltage is 2200v.
>>

>>The cost of new neon sign transformers is too much for me where I live
>>as well.I have four microwave transformers connected in an array for
>>my power supply.Try to use units that are the same secondary voltage
>>and look to see if one lead of the secondary in connected to the core.
>>If so, then cut the wire as close to the core as possible and you have
>>just gotten around the first problem with these units.The two output
>>ends then have a couple of layers of heat shrink tubing put on them for
>>insulation.If you are going to connect them in series, the phasing of the
>>outputs must be determined with respect to the primary (120v) side to
>>ensure that the voltages will be additive once connected.Secure them to
>>a sheet of plexiglass and after wiring them up put the whole thing in
>>a container of oil to increase the insulation between the windings and the
>>core.
>>
>>You may want to use more than three 2200v units as anything under 10kv
>>is hard to get to fire across a gap.

do i have to put it in oil ? , can i do without the oil ?

also 4*800w is too much for my 220v 16 amp house wiring - don't forget
that
these things when shorted can give upto 200% power.
if i use 3 and get around 6000vac, will this do ? (power is around 2000w
so
this could help ?)
Kenneth Aaron
E-mail : kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com