[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

"Revolutionary" Idea 2

Subject:
        Re; A "Revolutionary" Idea.
  Date:
        Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:39:10 GMT
  From:
        Joe Cummings <joecmn-at-globalnet.co.uk>
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Thanks to the people who've responded to my E-mail.

I hadn't anticipated that the dwell time was so important. What we're
trying
to do with a spark is to let loose chaos and quickly capture it again.
No doubt due to my denseness, I can't visualise the idea of a "series
spark
gap".
The idea of a rotating hole which allows firing seems interesting.

If you will indulge me for another few lines, I have a further
suggestion, which
no doubt has been tried.

Let's visualise my suggestion as follows: assume the rotor to be a gear
wheel, rotating inside an internal gear wheel - that is, with the teeth
pointing towards the centre.
The teeth of the rotor are separated from the teeth of the stator by the
distance of the spark gap. At any one time there will only one firing,
because of the design.

Now you can feed one terminal of the circuit to the rotor and the other
terminal to the stator, with problems of transmission of high voltages
to a
rotating shaft.
However, let's make the stator out of nylon, and towards one end of each
of
the teeth
 of the stator you drill through and introduce an electrode from one
side of
the circuit, and do the same at the other end of the teeth for the other
side of the circuit. You then have an array of electrodes at either end
of
the stator. The job of the rotor is to present a conductor to allow the
spark to jump.

Note that we still have the problem of dwell time.

Here's my "new" suggestion. Instead of an ordinary gear wheel, why not
have
a helical one? If both stator and rotor were helical, we would have
imparted
an aerodynamic property to the spark gap, which might help in removing
ionised air.

In fact if we kept the spark gaps at the original position, we could
extend
the gear wheels into cylinders for perhaps greater draught. The depth of
the
grooves on the stator may need to be less than those on the rotary to
avoid
turbulency.

Well, friends, that's about it. I'm sure someone has tried it.  How did
it go?

Joe Cummings