[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A "Revolutionary" Idea

       Date:
            Thu, 27 Mar 1997 07:50:38 +1200
       From:
            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi William, all,
                   Commenting on more revolutionary ideas....

>   From:
>         "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
>     To:
>         "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> why not spin a notched ceramic disk, so the insulator moves and the gap
> stays
> fixed???  actually, a saphire disk would not be too expensive either, or
> pyrex
> - put holes in it (maybe better than notches due to stress build up) -
> when
> the hole aligns with a gap, it can spark, once it passes, it cannot.
> And, the
> spinning disk would still create a good wind to cool and quench.

It is an idea I like. In fact it is similar to one I came up with a
couple of years ago only my idea at the time was to spin a Teflon
disk. However, that one was nogo due to the bad effects of heating
Teflon. The beauty of the scheme is that as the hole parts company
from the gap, the spark is drawn out twice as quickly for a given
disk speed. A possible drawback is that sparks like to track for long
distances over insulators. Perhaps it could be souped up using
judiciously placed jets of air.

Malcolm