[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: plastic bottle caps

  Date:
        Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:22:14 -0500
  From:
        "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Date:          Wed, 26 Mar 1997 00:37:09 -0600
> To:            tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       plastic bottle caps
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Subject:
>         plastic bottle caps
>   Date:
>         Wed, 26 Mar 1997 07:21:58 +0200
>   From:
>         Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
>     To:
>         tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> Bottle capacitors can be built from glass bottles with a bolt
> down the middle.....
> Can a plastic bottle be used instead, I have these huge 2 litre
> soft drinks bottles and was wondering if they are appropriate.
>
> Second question, what does the oil that is placed on top of the
> salt water used for ?
> ----------------------------
> Kenneth Aaron
> E-mail : kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com
> http://www.geocities-dot-com/SunsetStrip/8736/

Kenneth,

I suspect the plastic bottles will not have sufficient breakdown
voltage handling for a neon powered T.C.

The oil is used to prevent the water from evaporating and changing
the value of the capacitor.

rwstephens