[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Questions Questions

  Date:
        Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:36:35 -0500
  From:
        "George W. Ensley" <erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 08:47 AM 3/26/97 -0600, you wrote:
>            Re: Questions Questions
>       Date:
>            Wed, 26 Mar 1997 06:48:22 -0800
>       From:
>            Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
>         To:
>            Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> Subject:
>>         Questions Questions
>>   Date:
>>         Tue, 25 Mar 1997 00:06:10 -0500
>>   From:
>>         "George W. Ensley" <erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com>
>>     To:
>>         tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>>
>> Hello,
>> I have been attempting to optimize my 6" coil with some success. What i
>> have
>> noticed is that the coupling coefficient seems to vary a good deal. Any
>> number of factors seem to affect it, breakout, toroid height, toroid
>> size,
>> coil height, etc. I am using K=(Fh-Fl)/Fr to find K is this correct?
>>
>> It has been interesting to note that while using a large toroid, 7"x 30"
>> which was difficult to break out, the system exhibited all the signs of
>> over
>> coupling. When a small tab was added to assist breakout, all of the
>> signs
>> went away and the best spark to date was achieved.
>>
>> Some how i get the feeling that the signal generator and the O-scope
>> aren't
>> telling me all i want to know. What is the k of the system while in
>> operation? How can i check it?
>>
>> -------------
>>
>> The best thing that ever happened to my TC was when a fan failed and i
>> melted down my RQ pvc gap. I was forced to build a new gap using a shop
>> vac
>> a plastic 5 gallon bucket and some 5/8 copper pipe. It's noisy but my
>> sparks
>> went from 48" to 67" with no other change.
>>
>> I have observed a wave shape change in the output of the coil that is no
>> doubt the results of better quenching. It is now a single hump with a
>> fairly
>> rapid rise and slower ring down. Previously a double hump was evident
>> with
>> the second being much smaller than the first but still causing the event
>> last almost twice as long.
>>
>> I have been attempting to follow the discussion on optimal quenching but
>> lack some basics. What was i seeing? Is that the beat notch or was it
>> just
>> the gap trying to fire again? How are these measurements made? What is
>> the
>> test setup?
>>
>> ------------
>>
>> I was pleased to see Richard Hull on The Learning Channel tonight with a
>> big
>> TC running in the background. Interesting stuff water.
>>
>> George............
>

>George,

> [...]
Bert,

Thanks for the reply. I am beginning to see the relationship now. I did
some
scoping last night and found that the second hump is not completely gone
until i have max spark with the big toroid. Seems that loading does
makes
the quench better. Smaller toroids even in tune wouldn't do the job. I
did
note that off tune i would see 3 and 4 humps with the small guys.

I will cut some shims and work on the K as i recall it is close to one
of
the magic numbers now. But i keep playing with the toroid height to keep
the
strikes off the rail.

The Specs:

Neon Xfmr       12kv, 120ma
Primary             14 turns 3/8 spaced 3/8 at 30 deg.
Secondary         6.25 dia, 22ga wire, 26in winding
Capacitor          CSI technologies .02uf at 50kv dc
Toroid               7" x 29.75" with a 1/4" tab to aid breakout
Resonance         145kc with toroid in place
K=                     .1724

I posted some jpgs a while back, the red ones, it just has a bigger
toroid
and a new base with wheels.

Max spark to date was 67" but i must admit i had the gaps a little wide
and
the voltage on the neon at 135vac. Probably took an hour off of it's 10
hour
life in tesla service.
George...
HAM=N4ZPO