[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: variac

  Date:
        Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:57:00 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<< >
 Yeah Ed, I had thought of a paralleling variacs also, but then thought
 simultanious adgustment of the variacs would be to tricky. Are your
 variacs mechanically linked together or do you adjust them with both
 hands?

 Also, out of interest, what are the values of your PFC caps?

 Thanks,
 -Bert S.

Bert,

My two small variacs (10 amp each) are mounted to a common plate and one
common shaft is used.  I adjusted the wipers so I had zero volts between
the
variable output leads of each variac.  Then wired them in parallel.

As I recall, I used somewhere between 20 to 40 mfds per 30 ma
transformer.
 The easiest method is to hook them up and monitor the current then just
try
several different caps until you get the lowest current.  Not very
scientific
but it works.

Ed Sonderman