[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: microwave trans

  Date:
        Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:21:14 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

> so 6000V is enough ?
> some guys on the list say at least 10k or better 12k !
> i'll have some problems getting my house wiring to
> put out power for 5 transformers.
 ---------------------------- >>

Kenneth,

10 or 12kV is better, but 6kV will work fine.  There are many ways to
build a
Tesla coil.  I'm assuming you'll be using a rotary, with a couple of
separate
series gaps to help quench.  Just be sure to run the rotary electrodes
"close".  The biggest possible problem is that your series gaps may need
frequent cleaning due to clogging, you may want to pull some air through
the
gaps also to help the quenching.

Select a capacitor of the correct size to give resonant charging so that
the
voltage at the gap will be higher.  I used .078uF in my 7kV set-up.

If you use static gaps only, quenching may be difficult.  But then I
haven't
done much work with static gaps at higher power levels.   There are
others on
the list who have optimized the capabilities of static gaps at higher
power
levels.  But in general, higher voltages allow for using a greater
number of
series static gaps which makes the quenching easier.

If you do want to use four (or five) transformers for a higher voltage,
you
could add some external inductive ballast to limit the current, thus
keeping
it within your specifications.  I have a feeling that the insulation
will
break down using 5 transformers unless they are placed in oil.

Good luck,

John Freau