[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Notches and things

  Date:
        Fri, 28 Mar 1997 19:42:23 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 11:18 PM 3/27/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Subject:
>            Notches and things
>       Date:
>            Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:35:41 -0800
>       From:
>            Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
>         To:
>            tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Hi Everyone
>
>This post is partly an experiment. I made a very crude drawing in MSWORD
>which I have attempted to attach to this post. I do not know if you will
>be able to receive it. It depicts what I think are notches and I wanted
>confirmation.
>
>The following applies to my new 17.5 x 24 "secondary which I described a
>couple of days ago.
>
>With the toroid sparking the output frequency is about 260khz which is
>right on the non powered resonant frequency of the sec/toroid
>combination. The strange thing is that the ion cloud has not lowered the
>frequency. The frequency varies little if at all from low to high power
>inputs.
>
>At very low power inputs where the toroid is just breaking out about 3"
>sparks there are four obvious notches before the quench. As I increase
>the power to maximum with the streamers out to 56", the quench seems to
>take place at the second notch. These two statements are on the basis
>that a notch is what I think it is.
>
>I obtain the scope pattern with the scope placed about 10' from the TC.
>The probe is connected to a 2' vertical wire attached to a ceiling
>rafter. The horizontal scan is set slow to display the energy packets
>which are at the mains frequency.
>
>The interesting part is that the rotary is only running at 1800rpm and
>the .25" contacts are on a 3.5" radius which gives a very long dwell
>time in the millisecond range. My question is how can I be getting a
>quench at the second notch with this long dwell time or don't I know
>what a notch is.
>
>Comments appreciated
>
>Skip

Skip,

The spark just dies and goes away!  Especially, if the circuit and
system
are well designed.  This is why with 12 static gaps, which sport an
infinite
Dwell time, I was able to quench and fire 1200 times per second in the
DC
system over the christmas holidays (reported on earlier.)

The spark will self extinguish in circuits with small caps in the
primary
and large multiturn primaries a lot easiier than with a big cap and 2.2
turns in the primary. (lowered gap current over a longer time)

Richard Hull, TCBOR