[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: microwave trans

  Date:
        Sun, 30 Mar 1997 17:00:21 +0300
  From:
        Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
    To:
        tweagan-at-maind.dnet.dupont-dot-com, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

At 10:29 AM 3/28/97 EST, you wrote:

>Hi Kenneth
>
>You wrote:
>
><do i have to put it in oil ? , can i do without the oil ?
>
><also 4*800w is too much for my 220v 16 amp house wiring - don't forget
><that
><these things when shorted can give upto 200% power.
><if i use 3 and get around 6000vac, will this do ? (power is around 2000w
><so
><this could help ?)
>

>You can do without the oil but as John Freau posted there can be arcing
>to the core and this will only burn the unit up over time (a short time!)
>If it's a matter of cost, the oil doesn't have to be first rated
>transformer oil, you can use clean motor oil or mineral oil that is sold
>for animal use.The idea here is to insulate and the oil soaks into the
>small places.
>
>Is the standard outlet voltage 220v like in Europe?The 4*800w was assuming
>120v at the outlet where 2 transformers could be connected in series and
>fed 220v-sorry if I was wrong.:)
>
>As Malcolm Watts posted these unit do a number on the current waveform;
>and like you have observed, they do draw the amps!I use a homemade
>inductive ballast to limit the incoming current.That way you could connect
>them up to suit the available voltage and stop the current draw at an
>acceptable level.
>
>I still think that 6000v is a little low to get a consistant firing of
>the spark gap but if the gap were closed up it may be ok.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Tom
>
>----------geoboundary--

I don't care about the cost of the oil. it's the mess i'm afraid of.
anyway I'll use oil. there's no other way. I'll try 6000v though.
getting these xfrmrs is hard !
Kenneth Aaron
E-mail : kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com
http://www.geocities-dot-com/SunsetStrip/8736/