[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quench Tests (measuring idea)

        Re: Optimal Quench Tests (measuring idea)
  Date:
        Mon, 31 Mar 1997 10:41:57 +0300 (EET DST)
  From:
        Harri Suomalainen <haba-at-cc.hut.fi>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

I'm not sure how peaple measure gaps. I'd suggest inductively coupled
current transformers and special high-voltage scope probes. One great
thing might be amount of light.

Unfortunately I forgot the reference but I think it was probably in
IEEE Industrial Electronics Conference 1995 or 1996. Name of the
publication might not be exactly that. Anyway, they did investigate
spark gaps by current sensors and light. They found out that amount
of light they picked up correlated very well to the amount of current.

Great thing with this is that you are able to use something like an
optic fibre as a pick-up device and detect light further away. Your
definately protected and the setup is almost impossible to make
destroy your scope. It is a low-cost solution as well. Great news
for all us coilers on a low budget and no spare scopes to destroy, uh?
:)
--
See "Malin Tunic: Chemistry of structure - function references in
cheese" for