[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RQ Schematics

Subject:  Re: RQ Schematics
  Date:   Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:50:39 -0400
  From:   "George W. Ensley" <erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 08:56 AM 4/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Re: RQ Schematics
>  Date:   Wed, 23 Apr 1997 05:09:46 +0500
>  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:08:21 -0400 George W. Ensley
><erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com> wrote;
>
>> I use the standard RQ (xfmr - caps - safety  gaps - chokes - static gap)
>> arrangement on my coil. The safety gap will fire very occasional on one
At 08:56 AM 4/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Re: RQ Schematics
>  Date:   Wed, 23 Apr 1997 05:09:46 +0500
>  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:08:21 -0400 George W. Ensley
><erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com> wrote;
>
>> I use the standard RQ (xfmr - caps - safety  gaps - chokes - static gap)
>> arrangement on my coil. The safety gap will fire very occasional on one
>> side
>> or the other when a strike from the toroid finds its way past the strike
>> rail to the primary. I suspect the whole primary tank circuit, chokes,
>> static gaps, cap and all are pulled off center as referenced to the
>> center
>> tap of the neon and the center point of the safety gaps. In any event
>> the
>> gaps fire the neon is somewhat protected and i feel good.
>
>By RQ I assume you mean Richard Quick, I am not familiar with this
>arrangement. Is the capacitor directly across the transformer or is
>it in series with the primary and the spark gap across the
>transformer? What I was speaking of is the condition where the static
>or rotary gap is directly across the transformer.

Yes RQ for Richard Quick, sorry I can't type or spell. This leads to
taking
the easy way out.

The static gap is across the transformer and after the chokes,  safety
caps
and safety gaps. In other words only the chokes separate the safety gaps
from the main static gaps. otherwise they are in parallel. The primary C
and
primary L are in series.

The safety gap does not fire often in this configuration but it does
fire.
Usually only on one side or the other.  Like the neon xfmr the safety
gap is
center taped to ground, the static gap is not.

george..........