[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: military transformers

Subject:  Re: military transformers
  Date:   Thu, 1 May 1997 22:38:18 -0500
  From:   "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Wouldn't it be nice to have 400Hz or higher to play with! Recharge those
> caps every couple of milliseconds instead of every 16ms.
> DLH
>

> > Military Spec transformers are wonderful things.  If shopping at
> > hamfest,
> > or anywhere, Read the specs carefully (usually silkscreened or otherwise
> > marked):
> >
> >         The Military Has Real Uses for 400 Hz Power Transformers.
> >
> > Most coil builders don't.   8)>>
> >
> >         grins
> >         dwp

Dave, All,

I'm toying with building a 30 kW transportable, trailer mounted coil
for half time shows at county fairs, etc.  It will depend on whether
or not I can come up with enough spare coin to buy a surplus jet
engine powered 400Hz, 3-phase aircraft GPU (ground power unit) which
I have located.  I've already acquired the appropriate 3-phase, 24
KVDC power supply.  The GPU is attractive because it is considerably
more compact and lighter than a diesel or gasoline equivalent 60 Hz,
30 KW genset, and the sound of jet engine power will really add to the
excitement of the crowd during a coil performance IMO.  On the
downside, fuel economy on these jet turbines really sucks, and
maintenance if something mechanical goes wrong scares the hell out of
me.

All I need now is to win a lottery.

Cheers,
rwstephens