[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: equidrive vs. non-equidrive

Subject:  Re: equidrive vs. non-equidrive
  Date:   Thu, 1 May 1997 23:14:52 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>  >Malcolm, all.
>
>  The extra expense of the equidrive circuit is just one disadvantage.
>
>  Another is the lethality of the circuit due to one cap remaining
>  charged
>  most of the time after shutdown.  Also, the extra wiring adds to off
>
>  axis
>  inductance in the primary tank. For the magnifier builder, the above
>
>  disadvantages must be weighed against the rather cool running nature
>  of
>  the
>  system and distribution of the shock of high coupled systems about
>  more
>  circuit elements.
>
>  For me, there was never a question.  The equidrive won out.  I
>  didn't
>  feel
>  like I needed to hammer the NWL super caps into an early grave.
>  Also,
>  much
>  high tank voltages are much easier to handle with series, equidrive
>  caps.
>  The key is to keep the primary L very high and then the percentage
>  of
>  total
>  off axis inductance to flux coupled elements is quite small.
>
>  Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
> Richard,
>Aren't you comparing apples to oranges now? If you compare lets say a 1
>20kv cap system to an equidrive system shouldn't it have it's caps rated
>at 10kv? Or else you should compare an equidrive system with 20kv caps
>to a single cap system with a 40kv cap. Or am I confused.
>
>--
>Kevin M. Conkey

Kevin,

No, not really.  A single 40 kv cap will take more of a beating than two
20kv caps in series of the same total value in a give circuit at a given
voltage.  This is the very reason no professional manufacturer make a
full
capacitor in one single pack, but instead makes many packets in series.
The
streesses are reduced.  This is especially true if two totally separate
containers are used.  The heat burden and physical stresses are also
reduced
in addition to the voltage burden.

Richard Hull, TCBOR