[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: military transformers

Subject:  RE: military transformers
  Date:   Fri, 2 May 97 06:15:30 UT
  From:  "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

if you really want 400 hz, just build yourself an inverter - it's a
simple
circuit if you don't feel a great urge to include power factor
correction -
use a full wave bridge and some capacitors to make your 110 or 220 AC
into DC,
then us a push/pull (or just a pair of transistors if you have a center
tap on
the transformer primary) circuit to drive the transformer.  you can let
it
self oscillate at whatever freqnency it wants to - it will settle out
near 400
hz typically (e.g. more than 200 and less than 1000) - at least that's
been my
experience - but I have usually been back driving them to make 6VDC into
220
AC.  I can scan a schematic for an electronic ignition I built years ago
that
has such an inverter based on a 400 hz aircraft type power transformer,
but
it's really pretty obvious.

For higher power work you can probably use an SCR with a suitable
snubber, but
I have found transistors easier to work with.  A typical TV horiz drive
transistor will easily handle the power levels - they can switch 3 or 4
amps
at 700V or more.