[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Frequency?

Subject:  Re: Frequency?
  Date:   Sat, 3 May 1997 13:22:08 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

> Greetings,

> I am new to this list and this is my first post. I have read much so
> far,
> but still have many questions... one of which is... What frequency
> should I
> design my tesla coil for? And, would there be a difference in output
> between
>two coils of different frequency with all other factors being the
> same..ie
> power and coupling?

Dave,

Welcome to the list.  If you build a normal sized TC, it will run at a
normal
"Tesla" frequency, and it won't really make much difference if the
frequency
is a little higher or lower.  Theoretically, there are higher radiation
losses and skin effect losses at a higher frequency, but in actual
practice
it doesn't really make much difference.  For instance if one coil was
built
that operated at 200 kHz and another at 500 kHz, it is doubtful that any
difference would be noted.  I favor the lower frequencies since larger
inductances can be used in both the primary and the secondary, this can
reduce the primary surge impedance and reduce overall losses; also makes
quenching easier.  But coils can work very well that are built in
various
different ways.  For a first coil project, I wouldn't be too concerned
about
frequency, there are many other factors which are a lot more important
--
spark-length-wise.

Towards optimal coiling,

John Freau