[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Building First Coil. (fwd)

Subject:  Re: Building First Coil. (fwd)
  Date:   Sat, 3 May 1997 19:03:27 -0600 (MDT)
    To:   tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:    Building First Coil.
>   Date:     Thu, 1 May 1997 16:37:32 -0400
>   From:     "Rob" <rbturne-at-hubcap.clemson.edu>
>     To:     <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> Hi folks,
>
> Ok so I'm interested. I went through and downloaded all the info I could
> find and am now reading it. I was wondering if someone
> could give me a hint as to a good set of plans to build my first coil. I
> really want someone to say here build this it works good and is
> easy.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

Hi Rob, I too am making my first coil, I find that this list, combined
with the software (Teslac, Teslns etc.) makes for the best.

Get The software first, run the calculations, if you don't have a
transformer, Teslns has an option to tell you what YOU need to get
xxx,xxx,xxx volts etc.

Plans are usually generated by oneself, this isn't like: "plans to build
Tesla Coil that EVERYONE must follow!", the best thing is to derive up
your own coil, as long as you learn how they work, most stuff gets
invented off the top of your head, or you can build what other people
had
already made (I don't like doing that!).

I would first go out and purchase/find a nice used neon sign
transformer,
you pick the power, (Higher current and voltage = larger secondary,
larger
caps etc). I myself found a good deal on an Allanson 12kv 30ma neon sign
transformer for about 20$. It takes some snooping, but you can probably
find one at a very good cost. For my Coil, I'm going to go with a 4"
diameter secondary (18" tall - coil length, not PVC length) My cap is
going to be a 0.0047 uf. and #24 wire for the secondary. Primary is
undecided yet, but I'm working on it! While you are looking for a neon
sign transformer, look around for other parts you need, like PVC pipe
(thin walled), copper wire (its hard to find here, so you may want to
look for this first), and various other items.

There are plans on the Internet, and I recommend that you read those
too,
they help visualize the process of building, and how Tesla Coils
actually
work.

Have fun, be safe.

Jeremy Bair