[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pole pig setup

Subject:      Re: pole pig setup
      Date:   Sat, 03 May 1997 07:01:36 -0500
      From:   Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
        To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  pole pig setup
>   Date:   Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:52:30 +0200
>   From:   tesla <tesla-at-ixx.se>
>     To:   tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>
> Hi all.
>
> I have just laid my hands on 3 railway polepigs. 2 2kVA and 1 4.5 kVA.
> They have an output of 10kV each and have 2x120V in(if i look at it as
> they should be used in Tesla coil service :) )I had to
> pay 45$ a piece, is that
> a reasonable price?? They have some rust here and there but seems ok.
> They
> only need a little sanding and some paint and they'll be as new.
>
> My big question here is how do i current limit them since i suspect they
> will draw pretty much current. I have read about welders and electrical
> heating units but how do i do......
>
> As much info as i can get would be appreciated. I don't wanna get fried.
> =)
>
> //Matt

> Matthias "Tesla" Andersson
> tesla-at-engelholm.se
> http://www.ixx.se/usr/tesla/default.htm
> -"Why am i glowing in the dark?"

Matt:
        There's really a pretty standard way that I believe the majority
of the
pole pig user connect up their higher power systems.  First you also
need a 0-240 VAC auto transformer in order to slowly be able to control
the system during operation.  I would suggest going to Ham Fests to pick
one up with at least a 15 amp rating--all of us seem to quickly move on
to the next bigger coil.  On one output leg of your autotranformer,
prior to connecting to the 240 volt primary (originally secondary) of
your pig, you should connect the 240 VAC input line for the Arc welder
you need to buy, effectively placing it's primary in series with the
pole pig.  Pick up one like a Century or Lincoln with about a 225 amp
rating($180-$240).  The welder output leads need to be shorted
together.  During coil operation, you can now effectively limit the
total power draw by movong the welder adjustable current output
lever/Dial to various settings.
        One more item is also recommended.  You should employ a high
power
resistance either in series or parallel with the welder.  I have chosen
to connect my resistance in parallel with the welder, others have
succesfully used it in series.  I purchased two 2200 watt stove top
heating elements and then I tap them for various series/parallel
connections for maximum spark output from the coil.  The resistance
provides a secondary current path when the welder primary and it's
inherent inductance is very effectively limiting current by the good ol'
Ldi/dt feature.  It also helps limit the peak inductive kick back that
also occurs. This information is a direct result from participating on
the list, keep checking in and you will be able to pick up lots of
tips!  I hope this along with the other replies you will probably
receive helps you get started.  Good Luck

Chuck Curran
Cedarburg, WI