[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lightning Generator

Subject:   Re: Lightning Generator
  Date:    Sun, 4 May 1997 19:51:54 +0000
  From:  "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>>        Welcome to the the group!
>>
>>        If you're interested in Tesla coils - you =have= come to
>>        the right place.
>>
>>        If you're interested in lightning generators you have made
>>        a wrong turn on the information super-highway.  Lightning
>>        is essentially the hyperbolic opposite of the discharges
>>        to be obtained from Tesla coils!
>>
>>        Tesla current is =high frequency= high voltage, essentially
>>        ac.
>>
>>        Lightning is static electricity - essentially dc.
>>
>>        Don't despair - I've excellent news:  There is but one way
>>        to generate Tesla current - Tesla coils (surprise!).
>>

>>                                Regards,
>>
>>                                Robert Michaels - Detroit, USA
>>

>   I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with that statement Robert, static
>simply implies potential, not AC or DC. A lightning stroke has a
>fast rise time, it is a RF voltage.
>
>                        Mark Graalman

  Robert, Mark -

  You could both be wrong. Tesla invented the so called "Tesla Coil" to
create ultra high voltages with maximum power. We should be trying to
optimize this apparatus (to help NASA with its tether generator). Sparks
of
any kind are losses and prevent the production of the high voltages at
maximum power.

  It is coilers like us that have reduced Tesla's invention to a
playtoy.
But you have to admit it is fun. Many tyros have learned a lot about
electricity builting these things.

  Note however that auto ignition coils and flyback transformers are not
Tesla coils. These work on a different electrical theory.

  John Couture