[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Frequency?

Subject:  Re: Frequency?
  Date:  Sat, 3 May 1997 13:35:34 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Fri, 2 May 1997 14:11:05 -0400 Dave
<djb-at-erie-dot-net> wrote;

> Greetings,
>
> I am new to this list and this is my first post. I have read much so
> far, but still have many questions... one of which is... What frequency
> should I design my tesla coil for? And, would there be a difference in
> output between two coils of different frequency with all other factors
> being the same..ie power and coupling?

Welcome to the list Dave! Generaly most people don't design a Tesla
Coil to operate at any specific frequency. Most people want the
biggest spark they can get so they build the largest coil they can
afford and contain. It is wise for a beginner to start small where
mistakes are more forgiving (get shocked by a neon transformer and
you learn a new dance, get shocked by a pole pig and you are DEAD).
The larger a Tesla coil is the lower the frequency it will resonate
at. Lower frequency all other variables being equal will give you
bigger sparks than a higher frequency. I have built some very high
frequency coils and their discharge looks more like a fuzzy plume
than a spark.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/