[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE:levitrons

Subject:  RE:levitrons
  Date:   Sun, 4 May 97 23:55:56 UT
  From:  "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

just a short off thread post - years ago there was a turntable (remember
vinly
records??)made by STANTON if I remember right that suspended the
turntable on
a pair of opposing ring magnets.  The idea was to couple less noise and
hum
into the platter.  It was a terrible idea - the damping was horrible so
the
slightest vertical movement of the shelf would be amplified by the
oscillations of the platter and the record would skip.  (I know this
because I
bought one and gave up on it).  Now an active electronic magenetic
bearing,
now that would be slick

ok, now back to the thread.

[Bill]  snip
 . The Levitron is a
more coloquial (Sp.?) expression that refers to having two ring
magnets slid over a dowl such that their fields apose and the upper
magnet will levitate in space over the bottom magnet, impresive sight
the first few time you see it.