[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

nother Blown Fuse

Subject:     Another Blown Fuse
      Date:  Tue, 06 May 1997 06:54:21 -0500
      From:  Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
        To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hello All:
        Well, I fired up my new coil again Sunday night with the same
results,
blown fuses just as spark breaks out.  These fuses control the rotary
motor(the motor draws 9.5 amps under full load) and the vacuum gap motor
with the same current draw.  The system works fine until I start to get
spark, but then I must be getting enough EMI to create a problem.  I
changed the location of my major line filter to just before the
distribution panel in the garage.  The High Voltage lines have the
standard toroids and 1000pf-at-30Kv bypass cap installed but that's
apparently not enough.  I lost a 20 amp quick blow fuse on the rotary
motor and a 10 amp quick blow on the vacuum gap motor.  Yea, they should
be slow blow but that's all I could latch onto on short notice.  I plan
on checking the current draw again tonight and then probably I will need
to add some additional RF filters on the output lines of the power unit
to keep things a bit cleaner, along with locating some slow blow fuses.
Another item on the "to do" list.

Chuck Curran