[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lightning Generator

Subject: Re: Lightning Generator
  Date:  Mon, 5 May 1997 16:03:47 -0500
  From:  "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> " A lightning stroke has a
> fast rise time, it is a RF voltage."
>
>         No way!  Primarily unipolar with a rise time of a few
> microseconds and a fall time of tens to hundreds.
>
> Ed

You guys are both right.  Ed points out correctly that it is a
mostly unipolar voltage (as did Robert Michaels). Mark Graalman said it
is an RF voltage.

This one may be tricky, it depends entirely on your definition of an
RF voltage.  I'm sure that we can all agree that it will ring an RF
tuned circuit
very efficiently, like any old length of wire (MHz L/C circuit) creating
massive
voltage drops across even relatively low D.C. resistance cables and
hence the
big problem of building effective lightning protection equipment.

If pressed for my opinion, I would call it a RF voltage segment! : )

rwstephens