[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First Coil!

Subject:   First Coil!
  Date:    Mon, 05 May 1997 15:06:38 Eastern Daylight Time
  From:   "Mad Coile{" <ts5815-at-devrycols.edu>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

To all,
This is the first letter I have written to the list-server. Let me
breifly
introduce myself. I am attending DeVry Institute of Technology (I just
graduated from high school last year) for Electronics Engineering
Technology.
        Saturday, May 3 we finished our first Tesla Coil.  We were
experiencing some losses that can be fixed; nevertheless, our output was
several 6" long streamers. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has
on
increasing the output.  Here is the details of my coil:
PRIMARY:
        2 furnace ignition transformers (10kV -at- 23mA per each)
        .007uF quick slam mountain dew capacitors in salt water (this
value
was actualy                 for use with only one furnace transformer)
        A three terminal gap - each gap about 3/16"
        1/4" OD copper tubbing, 10' wrapped in a cylindrical coil, 5
turns
tapped at 2
SECONDARY:
        3.5" OD PVC (3" sch.40) wrapped with 1lb 22 AWG - about 15 1/8"
long
        2 Wall Mart $.70 salad bowls attached like sphere

Total cost for this coil was about $15-20

Tristan Stewart,CET
ts5815-at-devrycols.edu