[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: H.V. Transformers

Subject:  Re: H.V. Transformers
  Date:   Tue, 06 May 1997 06:39:27 -0400
  From:   "Daryl P. Dacko" <mycrump-at-cris-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 11:49 PM 5/5/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Subject:  H.V. Transformers
>  Date:   Mon, 5 May 1997 12:48:57 +0500
>  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Greetings all
>
>I have noticed many of you have difficulty finding Neon sign
>transformers for your Tesla Coils, but aside from Neon sign
>transformers, Neon sign bombarder transformers and pole pigs
>there is another usually neglected source of H.V. transformers
>namely oil burner ignition transformers. These transformers put
>out typically 10,000 volts at 23 ma. and they are damn near
>indestructible. They can easily be connected in parallel for higher
>power levels. Whats nicer yet is most oil burner repair men will
>throw out the entire burner with the ignition transformer. Right now
>is the end of the heating season for North America and I have pulled
>six of these little beauties out of the trash in the past two weeks.
>When you see an oil burner unit in the trash the transformer is the
>box on top of the motor typically 5" X 3" X 4" high. Usually the
>transformers are covered with soot and grease but you can submerge
>these babies in a hot T.S.P solution scrub and rinse, LET DRY BEFORE
>testing. BTW if anyone know of any other untapped sources of H.V.
>transformers why not share the info with the group.

I've always used oil burner transformers for my tesla coils, as they
are much more available here than neon sign transformers.

I'd have to disagree about the indestructible part though. My last
coil used a bank of six of these in parellel, and after several hours
of operation, they started to fail, due I beleve to carbon tracking
inside the case.

This was back before this list, where I learned about chokes and safety
gaps and such...

I beleve I could have extended the life a great deal with chokes and
extened the performance a whole lot more with what I've leared here !

Daryl