[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What do you say to people?

Subject:  Re: What do you say to people?
  Date:   Thu, 8 May 1997 16:04:15 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Charles Brush <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>   From:    Jeremy Bair <pwac-at-flinet-dot-com>
> When someone approaches you with these question:
>
> "Why? Why would you build such a crazy device?". or
> "What purpose could this device possibly have for you?".
> (I'm sure you have heard a thousand other variations)
>
> How would we respond? I am asked this MORE than enough times maybe four
> or five times a day, depending on who is around. I've been asked by my
> parents, by friends, and by some nosy teachers (like some who have seen
> my strange photographs, you know, of my secondary, my caps etc).
>
> I simply respond something like:
>
> "I'm recreating an invention by a famous inventor". or
> "I am expanding my knowledge in a very entertaining way". or
> "Mind your own damn business, teacher!".
>
> I'm interested onto what other people think.

Good question.

My response??  Two words: giant sparks!  The usual response is
"Um...ok."
It's fun seeing how people react to that.  I may elaborate further if
pressed,
but giant sparks, and the fun of building & perpetually tweaking
something
that makes them pretty much sums it up for me.  When you tell people
about
Tesla and his other major inventions they sometimes start to
understand.  I
also find the whole historical aspect interesting since my great
grandfather
was an electrical inventor and a contemporary of Tesla's.

I suppose you could also respond by asking why people build models or
collect
stamps as hobbies.  Tesla coiling is particularly addictive since it
involves an
interesting mix of the creative with the technical.  There is _always_
room for
some kind of modification or improvement, and you never know when you'll
stumble across something new.  It's a never ending learning process, and
in
some ways is more easily understood than some other hobbies.

Zap!

Charles Brush
http://www.foundrygroup-dot-com/cbrush