[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Shorted turns, primary proximity - Add a sheild???

Subject:  RE: Shorted turns, primary proximity - Add a sheild???
  Date:   Sat, 10 May 97 06:43:32 UT
  From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

now this got me thinking, probably incorrectly, along the following
lines:
if I have a quarter wave AM antenna at some high frequency, and I want
elevate it above the ground, I put a little star burst like assembly on
the
mast at the quarter wave point to provide a mini ground plane.  It would
seem
to me that the tesla secondary would very much like to have a nice sheet
of
metal right at it's base to make a nice close ground plane.  Yet that
same
thing would also look like a shorted turn to the primary, right.  Well,
perhaps, unless you put a cut half way through it, like the ASCII art
below
note use courrier font so it looks ok if your reader uses a proportional
font:

|--------------------------------|
|                                |
|               O ---------------|  cut here, O is sec coil
|                                |
|                                |
|--------------------------------|

Now, if you were to do this (put a properly cut piece of metal under the
coil)
you wouldn't have a shorted turn "on axis", but there is still plenty of
metal
"off axis" that could act as a shorted turn.  On the other hand, the
thing
will shield anything below it pretty well, and it will act as a E field
reflector as well.  An interesting question of course is what would
happen if
it were iron/steel versus aluminum because it would increase the primary
inductance.

Someone has probably already tried this and can say what the truth is,
but
it's intersting thinking