[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer (2500 volt)

Subject:  Re: Transformer
  Date:   Sun, 11 May 1997 17:58:08 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Sat, 11 May 1996 13:45:33 -0400 jbesse pcote
<jbesse-at-Quetico.tbaytel-dot-net> wrote;

> Hello,
>
>         I found a microwave transformer and I would like to know if
> anybody hase ever tryed to make a tesla with this kind of transformer.
> I have a rotary spark gap and it fires when I turn it on but I don't
> think 2500 volts will be sufishient.

Yes Jbesse, several of us are experimenting with using microwave
transformers to drive Tesla Coils. If you can fire a spark gap you
can drive a Tesla coil, but at 2,500-volts don't expect any big
results. What some of us are experimenting with is connecting the
primaries in parallel and the secondaries in series. Two transformers
done this way would yield 5,000-volts at close to 3 Killowatts!
four done this way would yield 10,000-volts at 6 Killowats, thats in
the same league as the smaller pole pigs! You have to remove the
connection on one side of the secondary that is connected to the
core, otherwise you will have hot cores and that can be very
dangerous. Also be sure to put some current limiting inductance in
series with the primary!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/