[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Golka coil specs

Subject:  Re: Golka coil specs
  Date:   Tue, 13 May 1997 01:12:27 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:17 AM 5/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:      Re: Golka coil specs
>       Date:  Mon, 12 May 1997 15:28:01 +1200
>       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>Hi Richard, all,
>
><snip of coil spec>
>> I have several video tapes of Golka's system in action and have
>> interpolated from prints take from the best video still frames and
>> he was getting up to 30 foot sparks probably more.  The reason he
>> got them was the structure of the ceiling girder work attracted the
>> sparks.  Sort of an optimum height attractor.  With a Toroid of
>> proper proportions the system would have been awesome.
>>
>> We also have some closeups of his metering and in one run we
>> calculate 200KVA from the meters.  I still say he is the guy to
>> beat for world record setting sparks.  Unfortunately his approach
>> was rather monkey see, monkey do.  (Mimed Teslas 1899 system very
>> closely.)  His efficiency seems awfully low to say the least.
>>
>> Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
>I think it is a tribute to Greg Leyh's engineering skills that he has
>scored 30' with 1/3 of the power Robert Golka was using. This remark
>might be offbeat, but I have heard from a coiler I respect highly that
>Golka's theoretical skills are somewhat lacking.
>    I'd also like to suggest to new list members/first time coilers
>that you have some of the best coilers in the world present on this
>list to help you with your projects (too many to name and does not
>include myself).
>
>Malcolm

Malcolm,

I would agree wholeheartedly.  I have Greg's coil on three or four of my
tapes thanks to Jeff Mullins who sent in his video tape and shared a
number
of runs of Greg's fine coil with us.  As a two coil system, I would say
that
Greg Leyh's system is the most efficient that I have ever seen.

As to Golka's skills, I would agree and stated as much in a more polite
way
in my original post.  Golka did most of his work before the "modern era
of
coiling" and was, again, just miming Tesla's 1899 work.  Still, his
sparks
are the longest recorded sparks I have physical evidence of regardless
of
skill and power level.

I have long said that as the spark length grows, the power required goes
up
incredibly and dramatically.  This is regardless of skill level.
Whether
the builder uses a giant toroid, giant coil, or not.  Anyone who is
observant and is used to working over 5-8 Kva will agree with this.  In
low
power coils, 300 watts per foot is a good rule of thumb.  To about 20
feet
of spark, this rule ups to about 1KW/foot!  Beyond 30 feet, another
world is
entered entirely.  These rules of thumb assume better than average
skills.

Richard Hull, TCBOR