[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Terminal Shape

Subject: Re: Top Terminal Shape
  Date:  Mon, 12 May 1997 01:08:11 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

big snip

>> Feel free to jam all sorts of shorted turn garbage on the top of your
>> resonators! (remember, it will affect the effectiveness the top
>> resonator
>> turns, but it will also protect and shade them.  It is a balance.
>> Forget
>> the primary, it is in the next galaxy, inductively.
>>
>> Richard Hull, TCBOR
>>

>Richard,
>
>With my background in radio astronomy I can support your claim about
>the primary field being 'effectively in the next galaxy' by the time
>you get to the top of the secondary,.......however I would consider
>the field associated with the top region of an excited secondary in this
>case to
>have some form of an interplay, albeit of reduced power levels to the
>primary example, but an interplay with the shorted turn the topload
>represents, nevertheless.  This *may* explain
>a part of the different throwing effects seen from a coil system when
>the large toploading, shorted turn toroid is tried at varying heights
>above the top secondary turn, over and above what effect the
>electrostatic field control also being changed has to do with the
>experiment.
>
>I would expect that the shorted turn represented by the toroid, or
>toroid cluster (when more than one are typically used such as my
>work) would produce a dampening effect on the slow wave rate of
>propagation as it approaches the topload end of the secondary.
>Perhaps my practice of NEVER going to expanded turn spacing at the
>top several turns of a secondary, but adjusting the top turn-toroid
>spacing by
>experiment, creates the same effect of damping the wave near the top end
>of the secondary.  I have been very successful with my approach.
>
>Grey matter cognitive thoughts encouraged!  Those relying solely on
>spreadsheets and other computer simulations may tackle this problem
>at great personal risk of failure IMO.
>
>rwstephens

Robert,

Yes, I cover the base in my last parting salute above about the shorted
turn
screwing with the top turns of the secondary.  Still, I just sacrifice
those
that must be sacrificed by just jammed the toroid in physical contact
with
the top turn. Lotsa turns effectively wasted, but hey plus or minus 20%.
What actual effect all this has is a good guessing game.  Like you, I
tight
wind wire from stem-to-stern for max inductance on those parts of the
coil
that aren't entering into some unique dance with the primary or top
toroid
system.

Richard Hull, TCBOR