[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer (2500 volt)

Subject:  Re: Transformer (2500 volt)
     To:  tesla-at-stic-dot-net    Date:
   Date:  Tue, 13 May 1997 02:36:21 +0500
   From:   Alfred A. Skrocki"
<alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>           To:   Tesla List
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Mon, 12 May 1997 13:44:20 -0500 David Huffman
<huffman-at-FNAL.GOV> wrote;

> Question, do you really need to add current limiting if you use a
> uwave transformer? I had my waste management friend get me 4 old
> uwaves, all different but similar. Each transformer has shunts,
> aren't they enough to limit the current?
> BTW the xformers look like new, after the dusts is removed, and if
> placed under oil should be quite rugged.
> Dave Huffman

My suggestion to add current limiting to the microwave transformers
is based on two factors. First I have a batch of microwave
transformers (8 so far) that do not appear to have any shunts
(Tom informs me that some microwave transformers have shunts that can
only be seen by removing the windings so this may be the case with
these or atleast some of the). My second reason for suggesting
current limiting the microwave transformers is because it will do no
harm to the transformers and IF they turn out not to be current
limited then this will protect them. As I told Tom in a private
e-mail last night I found MY first obviously shunted microwave
transformer. And he and I are comparing the findings on oil burner
transforers as well. I will continue to suggest using current
limiting on microwave transformers and oil burner transformers
untill I find that the ones I have that are not current limited are
unique (I tend to doubt this) or as I suspect we will find some are
current limited and some are not. Then I would suggest measuring the
transformers and if they are current limited then you wont need to
current limit them otherwise they will need a series current limiter.
I feel it is better to suggest using a harmless current limiter than
not to suggest it and have a large group of people blameing me for
their burned out transformers. It is a case of untill we are
absolutely sure, it is better to be safe than sorry.

> > the same league as the smaller pole pigs! You have to remove the
> > connection on one side of the secondary that is connected to the
> > core, otherwise you will have hot cores and that can be very
> > dangerous. Also be sure to put some current limiting inductance in
> > series with the primary!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/