[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A question about LCR circuits

Subject:      Re: A question about LCR circuits
       Date:  Wed, 14 May 1997 09:25:41 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hello John,
            You wrote in reply....

>   From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>     To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

<snip>
> >Dividing each side by R^2 gives Q^2 = 1/4    which => Q = 1/2 = 0.5
> >(negative square root discarded).
> >
> >This is the value of Q, at and below which the circuit can no longer
> >ring. In other words, a circuit with this value of Q loses energy at
> >the same rate as it can take it up.
> >
> >Think that's all OK but comments welcomed as always,
> >Malcolm

>   Malcolm -
>
>   I do not believe that Q = ((L/C)/R = cos A  where A equals the angle
> of
> the vector parameters R, X, and Z.

     I am of the opinion that belief falls squarely in the realm of
metaphysics, not science.

>   Also the R does not equal the DC or AC resistance. The R equals an
> effective resistance which is a higher value and difficult to determine.

ESR *by definition* is the resistance at the frequency of operation.
It is a standard concept used in the design of SMPS. It is the
resistance *measured at a particular frequency*. It is not at all
difficult to determine. In fact, the design of the compensation
network in a SMPS requires that this value be known, if only
approximately. It is *easily* measured.

>   The Q = tan A = X/R is correct. The impedance of an RCL circuit is
> sqrt(L/C) only if the effective resistance is small enough to be
> neglected.

But I haven't neglected resistance have I? What does "R" stand for in
the formulae I used?

>   The sqrt(L/C)/R = cos A  cannot, therefore, equal X/R = tan A or the Q
> factor.
>
>   When the circuit frequency drops to zero HZ the R is so large that it
> cancels out the 1/LC quantity and the Q factor approaches zero.

Please redo my maths and highlight the error.

> When the R is small enough to be neglected the Q factor approches
> infinity.

Agree.

>   The critical damping point is when R = 2 sqrt(L/C) .

i.e. 0.5=X/R  That is precisely the endpoint of my maths.

>   When R is less than
> this value the circuit will oscillate. When greater the circuit will be
> aperiotic or will not oscillate.
>   The circuit will oscillate with Q below .5 if the R is less than
>  2 sqrt(L/C) and X is less than R/2 .

What you appear to be saying is: R < 2X  AND  2X < R  ??????

Malcolm