[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Illegal

Subject:     Re: Illegal
      Date:  Tue, 13 May 1997 17:13:43 -0500
      From:  rickh-at-ghg-dot-net (Rick Holland)
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Illegal
>   Date:   Mon, 12 May 1997 21:17:08 -0700
>   From:   Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>     To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> My wife is worried to death that Tesla Coils are illegal and the police
> will
> come and arrest me for having them so I have to ask this qustion to
> please
> here.
<SNIP>

> Are Tesla Coils illegal?
Tesla Coils per se are not unlawful to own or operate. That said, there
are two areas where this statement goes into a grey area. First, a Tesla
Coil has a great potential to be a wideband radio frequency generator.
In this regard, it could interfere with the reception of licensed
commercial or emergency radio broadcasts. This is certainly against the
law, and proper care must be taken to minimize this effect.

Second, a Tesla Coil above a certain power level generates sounds above
the regulated maximum decibel level for a municipality. The maximum
decibel level is different for different places, so check with the local
authorities. This offense is called disturbing the peace, and is
normally a misdemeanor.

Aside from those, the only risks I know of are through accident, such as
starting a fire or electrocuting the neighbor's cat (or son).

> Does anyone think I will get arrested for operating a Tesla Coil?

Not if you cooperate with the authorities.

> Any comments of suggestion?

I've read several suggestions already, but one last-ditch option would
be to do your coiling somewhere else.

> Gary Weaver

Good luck and be safe!
--