[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More magnifier runs

Subject:  Re: More magnifier runs
  Date:   Tue, 13 May 1997 22:38:21 +0000
  From:   "Bert Pool" <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Date:          Tue, 13 May 1997 00:45:26 -0500
> To:            MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz
> Subject:       Re: More magnifier runs
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Subject:  Re: More magnifier runs
>        Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 08:25:25 +1200
>        From: Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>          To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> Hi Bert,
>           I'm delighted to see you've hit 8' at 2kW. I always did
> think it was on and at one stage was hoping to get there first.
>
> Malcolm
>
> >   From: "Bert Pool" <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
> >     To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> >     CC:  bemery-at-why-dot-net
> >
> <snip>
> > So far, 20.2 kv, 2 KVA input with 0.015 ufd and a 36 by 8 inch toroid
> > has been our best combination, giving us really nice 8+ foot sparks.
> >
> > In our attempt to reach 10 feet last night we came to a couple of

[snip]

Malcom,

While I am using a 2 KVA transformer, I'm pushing it very hard,
certainly higher than 2 kVA.  I connected my electrostatic voltmeter
to a neon transformer this weekend, and I was surprised to see it
read.  I'm going to directly meter my transformer output, both
voltage and current on my next run so as to get a more accurate idea
of actual kva into the system.

I'm pulling about 8 kva from the wall, and I know the transformer's
got to be saturating.  At any rate, your 8 foot 2 kva goal is still
safe, at least from me!

Bert Pool
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net