[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc Transmitter

Subject:  Re: Arc Transmitter
  Date:   Wed, 14 May 1997 22:29:57 -0700
  From:   "Norman F. Stanley" <nfs-at-midcoast-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:38 AM 5/11/97 -0500, I wrote:
>Subject:  Re: Arc Transmitter
>  Date:   Sat, 10 May 1997 21:48:20 -0700
>  From:   "Norman F. Stanley" <nfs-at-midcoast-dot-com>
>    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>This was known as the "singing arc" and, as I recall, consisted of a
>carbon
>arc and tank circuit.  With the arc operating in air it was limited to
>audio frequencies, hence the name.  By enclosing the arc in a hydrogen
>or
>gaseous hydrocarbon atmosphere the frequency could be extended into the
>long wave radio spectrum, and I believe this was used in commercial CW
>transmitters way back when.  An brief item in the Q&A column in one of
>the
>Gernsback magazines, "Everyday Science and Mechanics", back in the
>thirties
>showed a practical circuit.  I happen to have a complete file of that
>publication, and will see if I can locate the circuit for you.
>
>Norm

I've located the article I mentioned.  It was entitled "Experiments with
'Singing Arc' and Tesla coil" and was by a German author, W. Moeller.
It was published in the June 1933 issue of Everyday Science and
Mechanics
(p. 686).  Several practical circuits were illustrated, including
excitation
of a small Tesla coil by applying the output of the arc oscillator to
the
primary, or directly to the secondary.

If anyone is interested in seeing this article, send me E-Mail, and I'll
try
to get it scanned and post the file.

Norm