[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reflections in Power Transfer

Subject:  Re: Reflections in Power Transfer
  Date:  Fri, 16 May 1997 02:21:16 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:27 AM 5/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Re: Reflections in Power Transfer
>  Date:  Thu, 15 May 1997 18:03:30 -0700 (PDT)
>  From:  "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
>    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>"
>Do you think that the streamer impedance can change as fast as
>the current in the sinusoidal waveform?"
>        Will let Malcom speak for himself, but personally
>believe that the non-linearities over a single cycle aren't
>too large, because of the ion transport mechanisms involved.
>Sure there is some effect, but considering that it often
>takes seconds for the streamers to build to full length (at
>least with my little coils) think that much slower mechanisms
>are involved.
>Ed

Ed,

You are correct about the long time to grow.  I noted this before on
this
list.  I have timed some long streamers of 10.5 feet off of maggey #11-E
using video frame counting. (1/30 sec) From the beginning of break out
from
a location on the torid to max strike distance and max brightness in
strike,
I have counted as many as 10 frames! 333 milliseconds!  that is about
200
pops of the rotary and 5 orders of magnitude longer than the period of
the
electromagnetic wave of the resonator.  Again, I say the air has to be
pumped up and an ionizing path burned out.  The large toroids and lower
base
impedanaces of the system can supply a lot of energy which can help the
spark tunnel out a little farther, but it takes time.

Richard Hull, TCBOR