[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Idea for air-quenching RSG's

Subject:  Idea for air-quenching RSG's
  Date:   Sat, 17 May 1997 04:04:01 +1000 (EST)
  From:   Rodney Davies <rgd872-at-anu.edu.au>
    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi All,

I have an idea for a stationary electrode design for air-quenching on
RSG's.

Ok, simply take the stationary electrodes an drill a hole (probably no
more than 1/8" straight through the middle of it (down the length of the
rod, basically hollowing it out). Next, attach a compressor hose to the
end of the electrode (obviously not the arcing end) and reset into the
RSG
supports.

Diagram -

              (length view)                    ____   (arc end view
looking
        ------------------------------\       /    \   up the length of
the
hollow  ===============================|      | () |   electrode. Note
hole
        ------------------------------/       \____/   in centre of
shaft.)

       ^^^---- Attach hose to this end

Hopefully that gives a clearer view.

Anyhow, my theory is that by controling the air pressure going down the
electrode, you can help control the quench time.
Also, by having the air exiting the electrode at the end (from the
centre
hole) the air flow should distribute in an even manner outwards.

air flow ---+

        ____ ____
        |  | |  |
        |  | |  |
        |  | |  |   <--- Stationary Electrode (hollowed out)
        |  | |  |
        |  | |  |
        |  | |  |
        |  | |  |
        |  | |  |
        |  | |  |
        |  | |  |
        +--+ +--+    <--- exit point

 <----\____/ \____/--->  Air flow out.
        _________
        |       |
        |       |
        |       |     <---- Rotating electrode (solid)
        |       |
  ------|       |------

Theoretically, this should do a couple of neat things -
1) Quench the gap evenly.
2) Keep the electrodes reasonably cool (depending on air pressure).
3) The spark propogation time should be short but with a lot of power.

I haven't tried this design yet, but I think it might work quite well.

My main idea here is keeping an even air-flow distribution across the
electrode ends as apposed to blowing it from the side, which is uneven,
which perhaps effects the spark lifetime and dwell time.

>From what I know, the quicker you get that spark out, the more power
remains in the secondary coil and is not re-coupled back to the primary.

Anyway, a theoretical point of view, has anyone tried this idea?

Richard Hull, I'm particularly interested in your ideas on this?? :-)

Thanks all,

Rod.