[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark length (20")

Subject:  Re: spark length (20")
  Date:  Fri, 16 May 1997 23:18:54 +0500
  From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Thu, 15 May 1997 18:49:52 -0500 RODERICK MAXWELL
<major-at-vicksburg-dot-com> wrote;

> I have been using the "new" 12Kv transformer on my tesla coil and I
> have gotten my longest spark yet after I got it in tune on the 12th
> turn. My spark lentgh has jumped to 20"! The improvement came also from
> the use of a toroid instead of a sphere. The toroid was made from a
> solid rubber lawnmower tire. I knocked out the plastic rim and
> substituted it with a acrylic disk. Then I covered the whole thing with
> aluminum tape. Also I opened up my gaps quite a bit. Last weekend I
> installed an antistrike rail just in case it got unruly. Can anyone tell
> me how many gaps I should have at 12Kv. Thanks!

For 12KV the program TESLAC recommends 10 gaps each set to .025 inches
or 8 gaps with a rotary or if you keep the 10 gaps with a rotary to
narrow the gaps slightly. I personally would try the 10 gaps but I
would measure your present gap and divide it by ten and set the gaps
a bit less than that and gradually increase from that point.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/