[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: balloon torrids???

Subject:      Re: balloon torrids???
      Date:   Sat, 17 May 1997 21:35:56 +1000
      From:   Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
        To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Re: balloon torrids???
>   Date:   Fri, 16 May 1997 19:16:05 -0700 (PDT)
>   From:   gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>     To:
>         Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> At 09:13 AM 5/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Subject:  Re: balloon torrids???
> >  Date:   Fri, 16 May 1997 00:45:29 -0400 (EDT)
> >  From:   SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com
> >    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >

> >In a message dated 97-05-15 18:36:01 EDT, you write:
> >
> ><< same thing with a coil - use thin wire to carry HV to the baloon and
> > then fire
> > off the coil.
> >  >>
> >That would be interesting with a hydrogen filled baloon or bag. In a big
> >flask mix aluminum  foil strips and sodium hydroxibe and cover the
> >solids
> >with water. Put a stopper in the flask top with a tube of glass and run
> >it
> >through some cooling water like ice and water in a beaker, then you can
> >hook
> >up a rubber hose after cooling and run to the baloon or whatever. A
> >50/50 mix
> >of the chemicals more or less will produce a large amount of hydrogen.
> >The
> >sodium hydroxide can be regular lye sold in the soap section. This
> >solution
> >will get very hot, and a 12" dia baloon will make a LARGE EXPLOSION and
> >LOUD
> >so be careful. As reaction slows add more AL. It will produce rapidly at
> >the
> >beginning and boil over if flask is too shallow, CAREFULL!    Stephen S.
> >

> You forgot something.  What you are suggesting works but is contaminated
> with amonia and other impurities.  Run the hydrogen threw a container of
> lime and you get pure hygrogen with twice the lifting power of helium.
> This
> chemical reaction produces lots of heat.  Sodium Hydroxide is Drain-O
> and
> can be purchased at any industrial chemial supply for about $5.00 for a
> 50
> lb. bag and is one of the most dangerous chemicals available.  If you
> like
> playing with chemical try mixing Ammonium Nitrate with laundry bleach,
> but
> not if the room temperature is above 94 degrees F.
>
> Gary Weaver

I have used the Sodium Hydroxide and Al method for years to keep the
friends kids amused when they come over. I usually bubble it through
water and I find that using scrap Al tubing rather than foil stops the
mixture overheating.

We fill balloons with H2, tie a long piece of string soaked in Wax to
the bottom and light the end. When the balloon gets to a fair height,
the flame reaches the top and boom...

Maybe I'm getting a bit off the intended subject here...

Peter E.