[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A blinding flash of the obvious

Subject: Re: A blinding flash of the obvious
  Date:  Sun, 18 May 1997 16:57:09 +1000 (EST)
  From:  Rodney Davies <rgd872-at-anu.edu.au>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Sat, 17 May 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> where would you get this much gas to fill an entire room?
> I am sure this stuff is expensive!
>
> LT

> > Correct me if I'm wrong but don't sparks propagate much better through
> > an inert gas such as Argon or Krypton? Could you fill the room with a
> > 5:1 mixture of Argon and Oxygen.
> >
> > This should be breathable while producing some wild effects!
> >
> > Peter E.

Problem with that is, if the gas is near (or in) the spark-gap,
quenching
will be a pain as the plasma created in the SG by the inert gas will
keep
the spark "alive" longer than what it should....

But with the idea of having the gas in the discharge region is a really
neat idea! :-)

You will probably find that the area will glow a blue-green color with
Argon present and perhaps form a loose sort of plasma around the coil
itself....

If anyone tries this out, photograph it or film it - it would definately
be a sight well worth seeing!

Catchya's
Rod