[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help!

Subject:  Re: Help!
  Date:  Sun, 18 May 1997 17:07:37 +1000 (EST)
  From:  Rodney Davies <rgd872-at-anu.edu.au>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi Tom,

On Sat, 17 May 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> Hi There. My name is Tom and I am new to "coiling" :)

Welcome! :-)

> I am using a regular Auto Ignition Coil (which honestly i have no idea
> on what output it gives away) to produce a 1/2 inch spark (without
> caps). But as soon as i connect the Cap (Cera-mite 40KVDC, 3 in
> parallel, 570pf each) the spark dies out completely. No matter what I
> try I can't get it to work. I do not know whether it's the Cap or the
> AIC or something else. Like I said, I am quite new to this so I'd
> appreciate any help.

Sounds like your capacitor value is too high, maybe you might want to
drop
it down to the nF region...

> BTW the secondary coil (Tesla) is about 1000feet wound on a 2" ABS pipe
> (couldn't find PVC), coated with 3 layers of clear coat varnish. The
> Primary is 12 turns of normal household grounding wire. The driver for
> the AIC has a variable power and frequency controls. As I have measured
> the frequency to the Auto Ignition Coil is somewhere between 100 - 2000
> hz.

That could also be related to the caps. The Caps perhaps can't respond
at
that frequency and aren't charging properly before the next phase-peak
(or
trough)... You may want to try low-frequencies...

How tall is your secondary coil? 1000 feet on a 2" form seems to me like
very high-Q coil. If you're using a 2" form, you may want to have the
length no more than 1:5 1:6 ratio, hence a length of 10-12". Anything
higher raises the Q value, hence need more power to drive it...

Hope this helps a little...

Catchya!

Rod