[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fullwave rectifier

Subject:  Re: Fullwave rectifier
  Date:   Sun, 18 May 1997 05:50:21 -0700 (PDT)
  From:   gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 10:27 PM 5/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Fullwave rectifier
>  Date:   Sat, 17 May 1997 18:04:19 -0700
>  From:   David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>
>    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>Hello,
>
>  I am going to be working on modulating the output of my Tube coil, and
>am curently working on designing a filtered DC supply from a Microwave
>oven Trany. My first step will be to make the fullwave rectifier. As, I
>am not an EE and have not much training in the field (I work in the area
>of Radiation Health Physics sciences), I have some very basic questions
>regarding diodes in general. First, as HV, High current diodes are not
>the easyest things to obtain, what are the ramifications of series
>implementation of lower voltage for higher voltage? Perhaps, I am a bit
>to familiar with Capacitors and am getting confused? Second, well, if I
>am going to need to find a supplier of HV Diodes, does anyone on this
>list have any sugestions? About one Kilovolt AC at 35 Amps has been the
>highest I'v seen recently. Any help is more than welcome. Thanks,
>
>David Trimmell

Have you considered using 2 tubes for a fullwave rectifier?  872A tubes
are
rated 5000 volts, 1.25 amp average, 5 amp max, heater 5 Volts 7.5 amps,
voltage drop 10 volts. There might be something better than this but I
don't
know what it is.  Someone else might have a better suggestion.  I have 2
of
these tubes that are brand new still in the original box that I picked
up
last summer.  I am having such good luck with the AC system TC I
probably
won't ever use these tubes.  872A tubes are over kill for a small
transformer but would provide room to increase power in the future.
Hamfest
usually have a large selection of tubes to choose from, new and used,
priced
right.

Gary Weaver