[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reduceing noise

Subject:  Re: Reduceing noise
  Date:   Mon, 19 May 1997 02:25:48 +0200
  From:   tesla <tesla-at-ixx.se>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>> David, how big was this coil? I've seen coils up to eight feet tall
>> with 12 foot discharges and in all of them the spark gap was louder
>> than the secondary discharge.
>>

>In my (less than extensive!) experience as a coiler, I would have to say
>that the noise of the discharge is louder that the Spark gap.
>
>I went to a lot of trouble sound proofing my SG, I completely covered it
>with 4" PVC and I left a small hole for the compressed air to get out. I
>was rather perturbed when I discovered I still had to wear my earmuffs!
>By the way it has only a 3 1/2" secondary and I am getting about 30"
>sparks so I guess you guys would hardly put it in the big league!
>I also noticed the sound level changes dramatically with primary coil
>tuning.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Peter E.

I must say that the discharges coming off the toroid is much more loud
than
the SG. It sounds a bit strange when you Alfred said that in bigger
systems
the sound from the SG should be louder than the sparks. A misprint
perhaps?
Anyway there actually is no way to make a TC or a quiet. Am i wrong?

//Matt
              Matthias Andersson
               tesla-at-engelholm.se
http://phoenix.engelholm.se/tesla/default.htm