[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fullwave rectifier

Subject:  Re: Fullwave rectifier
  Date:   Sun, 18 May 1997 21:15:38 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Sat, 17 May 1997 18:04:19 -0700 David Trimmell
<dwt-at-efn-dot-org> wrote;

> Hello,
>
>   I am going to be working on modulating the output of my Tube coil, and
> am curently working on designing a filtered DC supply from a Microwave
> oven Trany. My first step will be to make the fullwave rectifier. As, I
> am not an EE and have not much training in the field (I work in the area
> of Radiation Health Physics sciences), I have some very basic questions
> regarding diodes in general. First, as HV, High current diodes are not
> the easyest things to obtain, what are the ramifications of series
> implementation of lower voltage for higher voltage? Perhaps, I am a bit
> to familiar with Capacitors and am getting confused? Second, well, if I
> am going to need to find a supplier of HV Diodes, does anyone on this
> list have any sugestions? About one Kilovolt AC at 35 Amps has been the
> highest I'v seen recently. Any help is more than welcome.

David, the output from you microwave oven transformer is going to be
around 2.5KV -at- 0.5 amps, assuming you are going to use a residential
unit. Diodes in this range are not really that difficult to find
almost all the mail order suppliers carry 1 to 5KV diodes rated for 1
amp. Pick almost any supplier listed in the back of Popular
Electronics or Electronics Now, I a not positive but I think even
Radio Shack may carry diodes with those ratings.