[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

tube advice needed

Subject: tube advice needed
  Date:  Mon, 19 May 1997 13:19:41 +0000
  From:  STEPHEN SE CRAWSHAW <SE-CRAWSHAW-at-wpg.uwe.ac.uk>
    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Dear list, especially tube gurus,

I went to a car boot (trunk?) sale yesterday and happened upon a
guy selling two very large radio valves. Unfortunately the guy in
front of me bought them both for five pounds the pair. I was
gutted. However, on questioning the seller, he informed me that
he has about 9000 - that's right 9000 tubes at home, many from
old radio transmitting stations, some military. He said he has
some that are about 1 metre tall and water cooled, hopefully he
will have some other neat stuff too.

I am going round to this chaps house soon, and I would like to
know the numbers and types of the most desireable large tubes for
TC work. My electronics background is 1983 onwards, so I am
almost totally ignorant about tubes. However, this opportunity
sounds too good to pass up, so I am going to buy some tubes in
the event that I have time to try them out.

Could tube guru's list their all time favourite tubes, valves,
triodes, tetrodes etc.? I am especially interested in devices
which will not require too much additional circuitry, i.e. direct
replacements for spark gaps (thyratrons?).

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know what this yields

steve crawshaw