[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Straight Spark

Subject:    Re: Straight Spark
      Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 23:52:14 -0500
      From: rickh-at-ghg-dot-net (Rick Holland)
        To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:
<LARGE SNIP>
> but when I reached a certain
> tuning point, all spark discharges came together as one.
> The one spark had absolutely no branches. The spark was
> perfectly straight and the only movement was at the very
> end of the spark which had a small whip-like movement at
> the very end. The spark stayed in place on the doorknob
> for about 10 seconds and then broke back into the scattered
> discharges running around the doorknob as previous. Has
> anybody ever seen this effect? Why was the spark straight ?
>
> I am going to see if I can re-create this at will (sorry Will)
> and take some pics.
>
> Bob Schumann
>
> tesla-at-america-dot-com
> http://www.america-dot-com/~tesla

Bob,

The first idea that comes to mind is that the air was very still which
allowed a type of "chimney" effect regarding the hot air produced by a
relatively even heating of the air around the discharge terminal. This
heated air, if undisturbed by outside influences, would follow the shape
of the sphere until it reached the top, and emit from there. It has
already been shown through numerous posts regarding the necessity of
quenching and cooling spark gaps that heated air will facilitate the
formation and propagation of streamers. The "wavy" tip of the streamer
was where the air/plasma finally cooled enough to be influenced by other
air currents attracted by the movement of the heated column of air.

Keep in mind that this is a first thought off the top of my head and may
be nothing more than ocean foam.

--

     Rick Holland

     The Answer is 42.