[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: tube advice needed

Subject:  Re: tube advice needed
  Date:   Tue, 20 May 1997 10:41:08 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

>snip
>Could tube guru's list their all time favourite tubes, valves,
> triodes, tetrodes etc.? I am especially interested in devices
> which will not require too much additional circuitry, i.e. direct
> replacements for spark gaps (thyratrons?).

> Thanks for your help, I'll let you know what this yields

> steve crawshaw

Steve,

That is quite a treasure trove of tubes!  You're right, there are two
approaches to using tubes in a Tesla coil,  the usual way is to build a
modified Armstrong oscillator which uses a vacuum tube, which is used to
supply power to a parallel tank circuit.  This approach does require
extra
components.  These coils are also "inefficient" in producing long sparks
--
sparks tend to be flamelike or torchlike, and are typically 6" to 12"
long,

The other method; the direct replacement of the spark-gap with a
thryratron
or other low impedance switch is very good from a theoretical point of
view,
but is tricky to "pull off".

Happy tube coiling!

John Freau